Tuesday, February 3, 2015

CATS, the meaning of life and memory

Today, I visited Oxford Circus to see CATS the musical.


At some theaters in London, they sell a few day tickets on the morning. Fortunately, I got a box seat with low price.


CATS is, needless to say, a world famous musical title. In the story, every cat are competing to gain an opportunity to be reborn as the Jellicle. Old Deuteronomy, a legendary cat who has experienced reincarnation many times has the role to decide who deserves Jellicle. Several cats introduce their lives to appeal to him one after another. Grizabella, an old cat who were a beautiful prostitute in the past, disgraced by other cats, sang her real emotion at last. She is chosen to be the new Jellicle, being blessed by all.

It is for the first time for me to see CATS in English at the theater. But, I saw this musical in Japanese some times. In addition, I have listened to the CD in which the numbers of CATS were recorded hundreds of times. So, I remember almost all of the music.

Some contents of this musical were different from my memory. Rum Tum Tugger wore cheap T-shirt, instead of a fur coat, and performed a rap song. The music of "Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer" was completely amended, "Growltiger's Last Stand" as well. It was surprising that the song having sung by Mr. Mistoffelees was eliminated. "The Awful Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles" was also not performed in Japan.

The box seat was splendid. I enjoyed the detail of the face and gestures of each actor. In addition, I was so thankful that Mungojerrie took a high-touch with me at the finale.

It is an enigma why Grizabella was chosen as the Jellicle. The song "Memory" she sang is the key to disentangling her thought. The last few phrases are;

"Touch me. It's so easy to leave me."
"All alone with the memory of my days in the sun."
"If you touch me you'll understand what happiness is."
"Look a new day has begun."

It is difficult to understand the meaning deeply. At a glance, it looks she is tempting someone. Indeed, in Japanese version, the first two sentences were translated into; "Onegai, watashi ni sawatte, watashi wo daite, hikari to tomoni." [Please, touch me, hug me, along with the light.]

However, the next sentence is important. Grizabella believes that whoever touch her will understand the meaning of happiness. It also implies something in a sexual context. Maybe, she has accepted her whole life. In the past, she was beautiful and made men delightful. And now she knows something about the true happiness and can notify it to anyone who are willing to approach her.

The memory is a treasure. And it will shine much more when you use it for the future.

By the way, I saw a nice full-moon tonight, as if it is the Jellicle moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment